Stafford Borough Walk Wise- Volunteer Walk leader
Stafford Borough Council are looking for 10 volunteer walk leaders.
A training date is still TBC but training will take 3-4 hours.
As a walk leader you would be responsible for:
- Walking health walk routes beforehand (“recceing”) to make sure you know them.
- Welcoming walkers to the walks, particularly new walkers.
- Giving a brief talk before the walk to make sure everyone is prepared.
- Making sure paperwork like registration forms and registers are completed.
- Leading walks, usually jointly with other walk leaders (including “back marking” or “middle marking” as well as leading at the front).
- Making sure walks are welcoming, friendly, enjoyable and safe.
- Trouble shooting and dealing with problems on walks, with the support of your scheme coordinator.
- Providing information about other walks offered by the scheme and basic information about how to keep active.
- Attending occasional walk leaders’ meetings and refresher training.
Volunteer Walk leader Person Specification
The main skill we need from our volunteer walk leaders is clearly demonstrated enthusiasm for walking and its benefits.
In addition, we love our leaders to be:
- Friendly, welcoming and empowering with good communication skills
- Observant and sensitive to the needs of others
- Knowledgeable about the basics of the benefits of walking and physical activity
- Reliable, punctual, honest and well-organised
- Able to work independently but with guidance and support
- Confident at speaking in front of small groups
- Able to take control and be assertive when needed
If you are interested in this opportunity then please contact:
Health & Wellbeing Community Development Support Officer
Health & Housing
Stafford Borough Council
Telephone: 01785 619675